Welcome to the 2016 Fulbright FLTA summer orientation sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education.
The orientation is hosted by the Center for Language Teaching Advancement, the Less Commonly Taught Languages Program, the Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic, Asian, and African Languages and the Department of Romance and Classical Studies at Michigan State University.
This program is designed to provide you with an introduction to the academic and social cultures of U.S. institutions, a platform for networking with fellow FLTAs, and facilitation of your transition into the program. Watch this video of the 2014 FLTA Summer Orientation.
The orientation will provide:
- an opportunity to gain insight into and begin adjusting to different educational norms and practices;
- skills necessary to ease your transition into the world of U.S. academic culture;
- preparation to teach at a U.S. institution of higher education;
- introduction to the latest and best practices in the field of language instruction; and
- preparation to succeed as a student at a U.S. institution of higher education.
Checklist to get ready:
- Review this website carefully for updates and news about the orientation and travel.
- Join our group on Facebook. Meet other FLTAs and stay in touch.
- Please set firstname.lastname@example.org as a safe address in your email account. We will be sending periodic emails to the whole group. Sometimes a spam filter blocks these group emails. For all major email messages, we will also post the letter on the website and in the Facebook group.
- Please complete TWO (2) surveys for us.
- Survey 1: Basic information and dietary considerations (Please complete now.)
- Survey 2: Travel information (Please complete as soon as you know your travel details.)