Click the headings below to expand and see more related information.
Many different types of internships with CLS are available (see below for more information on the various opportunities). All of them follow the guidelines of Interships@State. All applicants must have strong communication and English skills and be comfortable with technology. All internships are unpaid, but provide excellent experience and are a great resume builder! They are flexible in time: 3-10 hours a week for 6-15 weeks, fall, spring, and summer semesters. Interns will be reporting to and working closely with the CLS Director.
Interested? Send Resume/CV or questions to Sandhya Shanker, CLS Director, email@example.com.
CLS Internships available
Educational Administration: Excellent organizational skills required. Learn about various aspects of Educational Administration in areas of program management including: budgeting, scheduling, ordering, creating professional development opportunities, and hiring.
Outreach and Publicity: Excellent communication skills required. Maintain communication with community partners, update and improve website, create and update PR materials, attend fairs and events.
Teacher Training/Education: Must have strong background in language teaching. Observe teachers and offer feedback, help mentor novice teachers, review and update training orientations, manuals, and workshops.
Materials Development: Background in language teaching preferred. Assist in the review, updating, and creation of support materials for teachers (e.g., lesson plan ideas, tips for the classroom, reviewing web resources and creating information sheets about using new technologies, etc.)
Grant Writing: Excellent English skills required. Identify grant opportunities and assist in writing grant applications.
Web Design: Background in web design preferred. Maintain CLS website, assist instructors in creating and updating language-specific websites.
Video Production: Experience with video editing preferred. Film portions of various CLS programs, edit video to create clips for various purposes (some for advertising, some for teacher training, some for portfolios, and some for fundraising, etc.).
Publishing: Help create (or re-design) multiple handbooks/manuals for teachers, students, and international exchange programs.
Other interests? Contact the CLS Director, Sandhya Shanker, to discuss other options to cater to your specific needs.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Community Language School!
At CLS, our goal is to provide a positive language learning experience for all participants and to expand existing knowledge of languages and cultures.
Our volunteers serve an important role in our programs. In many cases, volunteers help provide young learners with their first encounters with other languages and cultures. Some of the programs in which you can get involved with CLS include:
- Culture Events (once a semester on a Saturday from 2-4 pm)
- Weekly language classes for preschoolers, kids, pre-teens and teens (once a week in spring and fall for an hour in the late afternoon)
- Enrichment programs at area elementary schools (once a week for 4-6 weeks after school)
- BEYOND Insights (on two Fridays in fall
- Be a Tourist in Your Own Town (first Saturday in June)
- Summer camps for kids and teens (week-long day camps in each language)
Volunteering in CLS ensures the success of our programs and also benefits you in several ways:
- Resume & Experience Building
- Gain real-world experience teaching and interacting with CLS students
- Gain exposure to language teaching methods and practices
- Increase your understanding of another language and culture
- Work with a diverse student body
- Language & Culture
- Use what you have learned in your language classes
- Practice your language skills as you interact with native speakers and CLS students
- Expand your own language and culture awareness
We look forward to having you on our team!