The Spanish Writing Center
The Spanish Writing Center’s (SWC) aim is to guide you in the writing process and help you become a better writer. We will work together on what can be improved in your compositions. In other words, we will discuss and review your work and give you feedback based on organization, content, and structure. We will also help you develop skills to identify grammar and punctuation mistakes and improve your overall writing skills.
This semester, the Spanish Writing Center (SWC) will serve students taking Spanish 320: Cultural Readings and Composition (we hope to expand to other courses soon).
The writing consultations will take place over Zoom and will last 30 minutes. Students should make appointments at least 24 hours in advance and have a copy of their assignment ready before the consultation. You can click here to make an appointment.
When you make an appointment, we will send you a list of things to do to get ready for it. Generally, the list includes the following information:
- Before the appointment, make a copy of your original document and paste the text in a OneDrive Word document (make sure to save your original file in your computer)
- At the beginning of the session, the tutor will give you their email address and you should “share” the file with them. Please, make sure you enable the “editing” tool.
What tutors will do:
- Help you in the process of brainstorming ideas, preparing a draft, revising, and editing compositions.
- Provide one-on-one help and opportunities to ask questions.
- Help you develop skills to identify grammar and punctuation mistakes and improve your overall writing skills.
- Provide you with handouts and reference works on academic writing.
What tutors will not do:
- Proofread your assignment.
- Comment on grading or suggest the grade a paper might receive. (Tutors do help students interpret and respond to professors’ comments.)
The tutor will typically use the last five minutes to create a plan for your continuing work on your assignment. You probably won’t be finished with your paper when your writing consultation finishes, but you should have a very good sense of what needs to be improved and how to accomplish the work that needs to be done.
After your consultation, you will receive a short survey (it will take you less than 5 minutes). We would really appreciate you complete it so we can improve our service. Feel free to make any comments in that survey.