The Spanish Writing Center
The Spanish Writing Center is here to support students enrolled in SPN 320 and students who are recommended to attend the center by their SPN professors.
We will work together on what can be improved in your compositions. In other words, we will discuss and review your work and give you feedback based on organization, content, and structure. We will also help you develop skills to identify grammar and punctuation mistakes and improve your overall writing skills.
The writing consultations will take place over Zoom and can last 30, 45, or 60 minutes. You need to choose which appointment suits you best depending on the length and complexity of your essay. When making the appointment, please use your MSU email address.
Students should make appointments at least 24 hours in advance and have a copy of their assignment, as well as the instructions, ready before the consultation. You can click here to make an appointment.
When you make an appointment, we will send you a list of things to do to get ready for it. Generally, the list includes the following information:
- Before the appointment, make a copy of your original document and paste the text into a OneDrive Word/Google Docs document (make sure to save your original file on your computer)
- At the beginning of the session, the writing mentor will give you their email address and you should “share” the file with them. Please, make sure you enable the “editing” tool. If you wish to share your essay earlier, you can find the writing mentor’s email in the ‘Meet The Writing Mentors’ tab.
What writing mentors will do:
- Help you in the process of brainstorming ideas, preparing a draft, revising, and editing compositions.
- Provide one-on-one help and opportunities to ask questions.
- Help you develop skills to identify grammar and punctuation mistakes and improve your overall writing skills.
- Provide you with handouts and reference works on academic writing.
What writing mentors will not do:
- Proofread your assignment.
- Comment on grading or suggest the grade a paper might receive. (They can help students interpret and respond to professors’ comments.)
You probably won’t be finished with your paper when your writing consultation is done, but you should have a good sense of what needs to be improved and how to accomplish the work that needs to be done.
After your consultation, you will receive a short survey (it will take you less than 5 minutes). We would really appreciate you complete it so we can improve our service. Feel free to make any comments on that survey.
*Students who are not enrolled in SPN 320, please see the FAQ tab.